Sunday, June 28, 2009

2 health updates

June 23, 2009

As many of you have heard, my health hasn’t been all that great the past few days.

I woke up from a nap one afternoon with some small bumps and a little bit of a burning feeling on the back of my right shoulder. I figured, like with everything else, it was just heat rash and would go away.
The next day, the area was bright red and had a raised rash. It was no longer bumps, but looked more like an animal attacked me somewhat, like claw marks. The doctor came that day and he wasn’t sure what it was. I had talked to my mom earlier and she said it sounded exactly like Shingles, which is when the chicken pox virus that most of us have when we are little, flares up. It doesn’t bring chicken pox back, but shingles, which is this rash, usually on one side of the body, looking like an open wound. It burns and the pain is excruciating. This is usually just found in older people, or younger people under a large amount of stress (I guess I need to find a new stress-reliever here)

The doctor scolded me, telling me that I should have seen him sooner, and I do not take care of my health, and that this was worse than he has seen in India for someone’s skin. (I am not a fan of doctors clinics, or hospitals so I stay away from them at all costs, even the cost of my own health) He would be back the next day for some blood testing.

The next day, I looked at my shoulder in the mirror and it was the grossest thing I’ve ever seen on myself. On top of that, it hurt so badly. It felt like I had the worst sunburn possible and every time I moved my right arm, it was like someone was slapping the burn as hard as they could.

The doctor didn’t come back, but two of his assistants did; 2 men, clearly in their twenties. I was surprised that they came to me to take a blood test instead of me going to the clinic. I saw that the needle they used was clean (thankfully) but was a little bit concerned when the guy who drew the blood didn’t wear any gloves or clean the area of my arm first. He took the blood sample and put it in a little glass jar and put the top on it. The leftover blood, he kept in the syringe, put the cap on the syringe, put that back in the original packaging and stuck it in the front pocket of his shirt. Isn’t that somewhat weird?

The embarrassing part was when they needed a urine sample. I didn’t have to go to the bathroom at all, and it was awful because they guys couldn’t speak any English, and Peter, who would usually translate, was gone, so they had to have the oldest boy, also named Peter, who was 15, tell me they needed that kind of test. Soon, all of the kids knew what was going on, and when the guys left they were laughing. Of course they would, right? I was pretty mortified. Oh well. Definitely not in the US anymore.

I have an infection that has been spreading throughout my entire body. I’m not sure how it has come. I’m thinking through the bugs and heat combined, because most of it shows in the wounds left by the bugs. The two guys came back today with my test results, and I passed everything except for one kind of infection that I still don’t understand, so one of them injected me with this stuff that is supposed to help heal me quickly.

I had complained before about the pain of getting my nose pierced because he just shoved the needle in. I think this was worse. The needle hurt a little bit, but whatever they were injecting into me made me almost cry. And I do not cry over physical pain. I could feel it going in my arm, and it hurt badly, and made my arm heavy and numb, like a tetanus shot, only 100x worse. The pain is better now and hopefully it starts working soon so I can be fully healthy again.

I am currently taking about 7 pills/day between antibiotics, allergy pills, and pain medication. The shoulder wound has put me out of commission for the past couple of days because I can barely move my arm, and the pain is causing me to be sick and I am having a lot of trouble sleeping at night.

I am not allowed to eat normal curry right now because so much of what we have here will only prolong the infection. For the next couple of weeks, all I can have is rice with curd. Curd is just how it sounds. Warmed milk, set out until it gets chunks in it. Sounds good, right? I used to hate it but luckily now, I actually enjoy it and it’s extremely healthy.

Other than that stuff, things here are awesome. Every day, I wake up more thankful than the day before that God has placed me here and given me an opportunity to serve Him like He has.

I’m becoming even closer to the kids every day and have realized how almost impossible it is going to be to leave them. I think my heart might be ripped out of me.

These kids teach me lessons and bring me joy every single day, like I’ve never experienced before back home.

I have kids constantly concerned about me being in pain, and wanting to actually touch my shoulder to put the skin cream all over it. Then they continue to put it on my legs and arms where there are other open wounds from the infection. They couldn’t care less about it looking gross. They just want me to be comfortable. After that, they get me water, and rub or pat my back trying to get me to relax. They’re like little mothers…so don’t worry Mom, I’m getting taken care of very well here…by 3 through 13-year-olds.

Are we capable of caring for others like that? I don’t think I ever was before. It’s amazing what the love of a child can change in you.

I know for my remaining time here, Satan is going to try to throw many things at me to make me fall. I’ve had the bugs/heat (which is normal for here), the dark figure in my room, the monkeys, now the spreading infection, and my shoulder looking like it’s going to fall off and then there is the constant battle of miscommunication due to the language barrier. This must mean we’re doing something good here, right? Satan is working pretty hard against us. The great thing though, is that no matter what he decides to throw my way, I am not moving from here, and I am going to keep on doing work for God as long as I am here, no matter what obstacles. Getting through these things not only proves how much stronger I am than I thought I was with God’s help, but also God’s continued Faithfulness to journey with me, no matter how dark or steep or winding the road.

Although I am the same person overall as when I started, I think my heart has been completely changed. Changed in an even better way than I could have ever imagined myself to be, and this is all because I am doing what God asked of me, and even though it’s hard, the rewards of giving my life up for Him are endless.

Thank you for all of your prayers.

And if you didn’t see it, there was an article on Thomas and OAFA in last Saturday’s paper (6/20) in the Religion section. Check it out on Mlive. Com.

If I am not very quick at responding to wall posts/emails/messages, it’s because due to our expenses, our internet has been cut down by a LOT giving me only enough time to get done what I need, so please be patient, I will get back to you, and it has been out completely the past few days. J

Please let me know if there is anything we can pray for you back home for.

Grace and Peace and Blessings to you all.

LOVE

Jenna

p.s. On a side note, I’ve really been interested in the music artist, Kari Jobe recently. She’s incredibly uplifting with a very sweet and light voice. I would recommend listening to her album, especially the songs “Healer” and “Revelation Song” (probably both familiar to Crossroads go-ers)

UPDATE: June 25, 2009

Since I typed the last update, it has been 2 days. I had a terrible reaction to the shot, causing me to have a mix of the flu/a fever yesterday. Peter told me that meant it was working though. My skin has cleared up more from the infections/bug wounds in the last 2 days than it has in the entire time I’ve been here. My shoulder looks pretty normal now...just like a burn that's peeling.

I still can’t sleep for more than 2 hours at a time or 4 hours at night, making days/nights seem to go on forever but today is extremely dark, so maybe that means rain/the monsoon will be coming soon. I’m sure once it’s cool out it will be much easier to sleep. J

We are still without the internet. They are doing some digging in the land around us and it hit the phone line causing the landline/internet to be out for an undetermined amount of time. I’m currently at an internet café trying to catch up.

Thanks for your continued prayers and patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment